How are our charges calculated?
We charge an hourly rate of £280.00 plus VAT (currently 20%) with standard letters/e mails written/sent and telephone calls made or received (by “standard” we mean those only taking 6 minutes or less) being charged at £28.00 each plus VAT.
Pricing – what is my case likely to cost?
(1) Fixed Fee cases
In certain cases we are able to offer fixed fees. For instance on a guilty plea to drink driving related offences/careless driving/speeding we will normally offer a fixed fee of £1,500.00 plus VAT (King’s Lynn or Norwich Magistrates Court).
That fixed fee will include:
Up to one hours attendance/preparation to include:
- Considering evidence.
- Taking your instructions.
- Providing advice on plea and likely sentence.
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court.
That fixed fee will not include:
- Instruction of any expert witness
- Taking statements from any witness.
- Advice and assistance in relation to making a special reasons or an exceptional hardship argument.
- Advice and assistance in relation to any appeal.
It is always difficult to estimate how long your case would take at Court as it would depend on the Court listing that day however we would normally anticipate being in Court with you for up to half a day.
(2) Non-Fixed Fee cases
These will include trials and those cases involving special reasons or exceptional hardship arguments.
Here on average the cost is likely to be between £2,000.00 to £3,000.00 plus VAT but it could be more depending on the complexity of the case and the Court it is being dealt at.
This average cost figure would include:
- An initial meeting with your solicitor to provide instructions.
- Consideration of disclosure and other evidence and providing advice on it/advising as to plea.
- Arranging to take witness statements or identifying and instructing an expert witness.
- Explain the Court procedure to you and advising on sentence.
- Conducting any further preparatory work, taking further instructions from you as the case progresses and answering any follow up queries you may have.
- Attending Court and meeting with you both before and representing you at the hearing.
- Discussing the outcome with you and advising on appeal.
The more complex the case then the greater the likely cost. Factors that can make a case more complex will include:
- A trial involving a large number of witnesses in the prosecution case or to support your case.
- A trial which is expected to take longer than half a day.
- Cases involving the instructions of expert witnesses such as accident investigators or medical experts
Disbursements include mileage (standard mileage rate is 45p per mile plus VAT) and expenses that are payable to third parties such as experts fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. No disbursement will be incurred until we have confirmed that expense with you beforehand.
We will let you know as soon as possible if we anticipate incurring any disbursements and the likely amounts involved.
Experience/qualifications of those who will carry out the work
At Kenneth Bush we allocate work based on our specialisms, experience and availability.
You will be represented by Paul Croker or Jonathan Eales. Paul Croker is a Director at Kenneth Bush. Jonathan Eales is a Consultant and former Managing Director. They are both solicitors with over 25 years’ experience in representing defendants in road traffic matters. For more information on Paul and Jonathan please click here.