At Kenneth Bush we are able to represent you in all types of motoring offences which are prosecuted in the Magistrates Court such as careless, speeding or driving with excess alcohol.
If you are facing disqualification or penalty points we will use our expertise to advise you every step of the way and achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Depending on the nature and complexity of your case we are able to assist you in the following ways:
- Taking your instructions, considering the evidence and providing advice at a single appointment
- Attending and representing you at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court (guilty plea cases)
- Preparing, attendance and representation at more complex cases including not guilty pleas, special reasons arguments and exceptional hardship arguments
We charge an hourly rate of £220.00 plus VAT with standard letters/e mails written/sent and telephone calls made or received (by “standard” we mean those only taking 6 minutes or less) being charged at £22.00 each plus VAT.
(1) Fixed Fee cases
In certain cases we are able to offer fixed fees. For instance on a guilty plea to drink driving related offences/careless driving/speeding we will normally offer a fixed fee of £880.00 plus VAT (King’s Lynn or Norwich Magistrates Court).
That fixed fee will include:
Up to one hours attendance/preparation to include:
- Considering evidence.
- Taking your instructions.
- Providing advice on plea and likely sentence.
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court.
That fixed fee will not include:
- Instruction of any expert witness
- Taking statements from any witness.
- Advice and assistance in relation to making a special reasons or an exceptional hardship argument.
- Advice and assistance in relation to any appeal.
It is always difficult to estimate how long your case would take at Court as it would depend on the Court listing that day however we would normally anticipate being in Court with you for up to half a day.
(2) Non-Fixed Fee cases
These will include trials and special reasons or exceptional hardship arguments.
Here on average the cost is likely to be between £1,500.00 to £2,500.00 plus VAT but it could be more depending on the complexity of the case and the Court it is being dealt at.
This average cost figure would include:
- An initial meeting with your solicitor to provide instructions.
- Consideration of disclosure and other evidence and providing advice on it/advising as to plea.
- Arranging to take witness statements or identifying and instructing an expert witness.
- Explain the Court procedure to you and advising on sentence.
- Conducting any further preparatory work, taking further instructions from you as the case progresses and answering any follow up queries you may have.
- Attending Court and meeting with you both before and representing you at the hearing.
- Discussing the outcome with you and advising on appeal.
Factors that can make a case more complex will include:
- A trial involving a large number of witnesses in the prosecution case or to support your case.
- A trial which is expected to take longer than half a day.
- Cases involving the instructions of expert witnesses such as accident investigators or medical experts
Disbursements include mileage (standard mileage rate is 45p per mile) and costs that are payable to third parties such as experts fees.
We will let you know as soon as possible if we anticipate incurring any disbursements and the likely amounts involved.
Experience/qualifications of those who will carry out the work
In the main you are likely to be represented by Paul Croker or Jonathan Eales both of whom are Partners at Kenneth Bush with a number of years experience in road traffic matters. Please click on their profiles for more details of their experience/qualifications.